Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Zimbabwe’s vice president says the government will block a scholarship for LGBTQ+ people -GrowthInsight
Robert Brown|Zimbabwe’s vice president says the government will block a scholarship for LGBTQ+ people
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:37:22
HARARE,Robert Brown Zimbabwe (AP) — Zimbabwe’s powerful vice president said the government will block a university scholarship for young LGBTQ+ people, a move that human rights groups described Friday as a perpetuation of the African country’s homophobic practices.
The state university scholarship for people between the ages of 18 and 35 is sponsored by GALZ, a membership organization for LGBTQ+ people in Zimbabwe. The association started offering it in 2018 without incident. But a recent online advertisement inviting applications attracted a harsh response from Vice President Constantino Chiwenga, a self-proclaimed devout Catholic and former army commander.
In a strongly worded statement Thursday night, Chiwenga claimed the scholarship was “a direct challenge” to the government’s authority.
“Our schools and institutions of higher learning will not entertain applicants, let alone enroll persons associated with such alien, anti-life, un-African and un-Christian values which are being promoted and cultivated by, as well as practiced in decadent societies with whom we share no moral or cultural affinities,” he said.
GALZ has previously said the scholarship seeks to provide equal access to state universities for LGBTQ+ people who are often ostracized by their families and struggle to pay for higher education. It did not comment on the vice president’s statement.
However, a coalition of human rights groups that GALZ belongs to said it demonstrated that sexual and gender minorities are endangered in Zimbabwe.
“We are extremely concerned about the statement from the second-highest office in the land because it exhibits intolerance, especially taking into account that the advertisement opens young people to so many opportunities,” Wilbert Mandinde, the programs coordinator at Zimbabwe Human Rights NGO Forum, told The Associated Press on Friday.
Like many African countries, Zimbabwe has laws criminalizing homosexual activity. Sex between men carries a potential sentence of up to a year in prison, and the country’s constitution bans same-sex marriages.
Chiwenga said Zimbabwe’s anti-gay laws make “any (scholarship) offers predicated on the same aberrations both unlawful and criminal, and a grave and gross affront on our national values and ethos as a Christian nation.”
He said the government “will not hesitate to take appropriate measures to enforce national laws,” adding that young people “should never be tempted to trade or sell their souls for such abominable and devilish offers.”
Zimbabwe has a history of discriminating against lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer people. Former President Robert Mugabe, who ruled the southern African nation for 37 years, once described them as “worse than dogs and pigs” and unworthy of legal rights.
President Emmerson Mnangagwa, who took power following a 2017 coup led by Chiwenga when he was still an army general, has been less publicly vocal in his anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric. But Chiwenga’s threat to ban the scholarship highlights the continued hostility from authorities and sections of society, including influential religious groups, remains.
In December, Zimbabwe’s Catholic bishops, like many of their African counterparts, cautioned against the Pope Francis’ declaration allowing priests to offer blessings to same-sex couples, citing “respect of the law of the land, our culture and for moral reasons.”
Zimbabwe has in the past stopped public acts that may appear to demonstrate approval of gay people.
In 2021, a planned visit by a gay South African celebrity, Somizi Mhlongo, for the reopening of a trendy Zimbabwean restaurant was canceled after a Christian sect and members of the ruling ZANU-PF party’s youth wing vowed to block his appearance.
veryGood! (48573)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 5 lessons for young athletes (and their parents) from the NCAA Final Four basketball teams
- Former tribal leader in South Dakota convicted of defrauding tribe
- Ohio teacher should be fired for lying about sick days to attend Nashville concert, board says
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- LGBTQ+ foster youths could expect different experiences as Tennessee and Colorado pass opposing laws
- Johnson & Johnson to buy Shockwave Medical in $13.1 billion deal to further combat heart disease
- Shop the JoJo Fletcher x Cupshe Irresistible Line of Swimsuits & Festival Wear Before It Sells Out
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- New Mexico electric vehicle mandates to remain in place as auto dealers fight the new rules
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Gray wolves hadn’t been seen in south Michigan since the 1900s. This winter, a local hunter shot one
- $1.23 billion lottery jackpot is Powerball's 4th largest ever: When is the next drawing?
- Actor in spinoff of popular TV western ‘Yellowstone’ is found dead, authorities say
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Biden visits site of Baltimore bridge collapse
- Prosecutor says troopers cited in false ticket data investigation won’t face state charges
- Judge appoints special master to oversee California federal women’s prison after rampant abuse
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Federal investigation begins of fatal Florida crane collapse; bridge reopens
Philadelphia Phillies unveil new City Connect jerseys
Procter & Gamble recalls 8.2 million laundry pods including Tide, Gain, Ace and Ariel detergents
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Prosecutor says troopers cited in false ticket data investigation won’t face state charges
Taiwan earthquake search and rescue efforts continue with dozens still listed missing and 10 confirmed dead
Brazil and Colombia see remarkable decrease in forest destruction after leadership changes, data show